Valliani Jewelers, San Jose , CA
When Kas Valliani launched his retail jewelry business in 2002, Bulova was one of the first lines he chose as a partner.
In the past year, with Bulova’s launch of new collections and accompanying marketing initiatives, Valliani is more pleased than ever that he did. Sales have soared, particularly in his three stores with an upscale focus. In all, Valliani has 11 stores in California, with different levels of product.
“We are up about 28 percent in watches and Bulova sales are up 82 percent, month after month.
“About two years ago, our thought was that our higher-end stores would only carry Swiss watches. But we made an exception for Bulova and we quickly realized how right that move was,” Valliani says.
Interview with Kas Valliani
- Both Rubaiyat and CURV are wow products. CURV offers the first real curve chronograph movement in the world. It’s a great product at a very attractive price, under $1,000. Bulova has a long history of attracting the watch enthusiast. But in the past year and a half, all of this new product has been beautiful.
- We sell watches to millennials by hiring people who are in the target age group and are themselves excited about watches. They tend to attract the clientele you want to have in your store and be excited about the product. The watches are not only about telling time. They are about making a statement that “I’ve made it.”
- Bulova has never been shy about marketing, period. We do co-op marketing in several different ways, from gift with purchase to mall ads to banners and billboards. And there is quite a bit of marketing support available. We have seen a big push in the past year and a half.
- We make sure that all of our employees get trained at least twice a year, but we go through refreshers on a quarterly basis. The more they have access to more information about the brand, the better.
- I’d recommend it to another retailer because with customer questions, warranty issues and training, Bulova is right up there among the top five companies. I’m thoroughly enjoying all the help they are giving us and the numbers speak for themselves. When you’re outselling other brands three to one, you must be doing something right. Everything is top level — training, incentive programs, constant support of staff, analysts to realize where more sales can be and how we can continue to improve. Hats off to the current team at Bulova.
“Bulova is very fortunate to have an account of the caliber of Valliani Jewelers in northern California. The Bulova brand has had a partnership with Valliani Jewelers and the Valliani family for over 10 years. It is these relationships and partnerships that have helped make the Bulova brand one of the leading brands in our product/price segment.” — Michael Benavente, Managing Director, Bulova
CURV Collection timepiece with curved chronograph movement.
Special edition Chronograph C boxed set from the Archive Series with six-hand chronograph movement.
Rubaiyat Collection timepiece with rose gold-tone stainless steel case featuring synthetic blue spinel cabochon crown, 50 diamonds hand-set on outer rings, textured silver-white dial with double curved sapphire crystal and dye-struck “Goddess of Time” dimensional case back.
This article originally appeared in the December 2017 edition of INSTORE.
Latest Best Stores Stories
JEWELER SUCCESS STORIES
A Worry-Free Way to Close Shop
Ron Pierro, owner of Pierro's Jewelers in Brandenton, Florida, chose Wilkerson to run his going out of business sale. From marketing to on-site sale management, Wilkerson did it all--giving Ron the kind of closure that only comes from trusting the best. Wilkerson.