Long before there was tomkat, brangelina or kimye, there was us, “ugrandite” — uvaroite, grossular and me. My two usually green garnet brothers tend to take a back seat when it comes to the spotlight because I am the flamboyant one with the more varied trade portfolio and dramatic range (dark and moody, I’m melanite; light and sunny and I’m topazolite; and then at my most brilliant, I am DEMANTOID). I was named after one of the founding fathers of Brazilian mineralogy.
Who am I?
Guess this gem for a chance to win a “Jewelry Geek” T-shirt. Be sure to include your full name and the name and address of your store. The contest winner will be selected from among correct answers to this question.
Latest Fun Stories
- Cartoon: The Jeweler Gets a Lucky Break
- Take the Perfect Proposal Selfie With This Engagement Ring Phone Case
- Gem Quiz: This Flamboyant Gem Was Named After a Founding Father of Brazilian Mineralogy
- There's Something Missing From Gene the Jeweler's Business ... Several Somethings, Actually
- Cartoon: A Surefire Way to Stop Losing Gemstones