And congratulations to our winner.
For our June Gem Quiz, we described a "rock nerd's rock." We noted that it is highly lustered, forms in sprays of crystals and is dimorphous with the mineral senarmontite.
And the answer is: VALENTINITE.
Congratulations to this month's Gem Quiz winner, Mark Clodius of Clodius & Co. Jewelers in Rockford, IL, who will receive a “Jewelry Geek” T-shirt.
Riffing on the inspiration for the gemstone’s name (the alchemist Basilius Valentinus), Clodius noted: “Our dog, Valentine, stopped an armed robbery at our store — a 'True Tail.' Woof!"
And Honorable Mentions to the following for providing the correct answer:
- Annamarie Bara, Choose-Your-Gift.com, Chicago, IL
- Irwin Blackberg, Ovadia Diamonds, New York, NY
- Rachel Carver, Marks Jewelers, St, Lawrence, KS
- Carly Clardy, Gem Garden, Manheim, PA
- Sheila Cochran, The Karat Patch Jewelers, Mobile, AL
- Kelly Dinan, All My Life Jewelers, Laconia, NH
- Catherine Greig, Diamond Boutique, Del Mar, CA
- Peter Hannes, Koehn & Koehn Jewelers, West Bend, WI
- Ann Marie Hodrick, www.heartsdesirejewelry.com, Alameda, CA
- Todd Huebner, Josephs Jewelers, Des Moines, IA
- Shelly Isacco, Joden Jewelers, Grove City, PA
- Kathy Jenkins, Bravo Jewellers, Carlsbad, CA
- Rick McElvaine, Maxons Diamond Merchants, Springfield, MO
- Yasuhiro Mori, Mori Bijoux, Utsunomiya, Japan
- Babs Noelle, Alara Jewelry, Bozeman, MT
- Chuck Pollak, Fast-Fix Jewelry and Watch Repair, Victor, NY
- Shannon Prade, American Gem and Jewelry, Oceanside, CA
- Kimberly Williams, Jewelers Bench, Kingwood, TX
Look out for our next Gem Quiz in our July 3 daily bulletin.