And congratulations to our winner.
For our July Gem Quiz, we described a "gemstone that tells a prehistoric tale."
We noted that it often has a spiraled form and that it can tell you who traveled where, who ate what, and who killed whom back as far as the Cambrian period. Its name is taken from the Greek words for “dung” and “stone” — although your 5-year-old would possibly just call it dinosaur poo.
And the answer is: Coprolite.
Congratulations to this month's Gem Quiz winner, James Hall of Rockman's Gems & Jewellers in Amarillo, TX, who will receive a “Jewelry Geek” T-shirt.
Hall quipped: "Dino skat. I always try to keep some in the store. It is just a lot of FUN to have!"
And Honorable Mentions to the following for providing the correct answer:
- Chantell Bury, Alara Jewelry, Bozeman, MT
- Greg DeMark, Greg DeMark, Longmont, CO
- Charles Ellias, Charles Michael Designs, Troy MI
- Jo Fenton, The King’s Jewelers, Walnut Creek, CA
- Tom Gould, T A Gould Jeweler, Perham, MN
- Peter Hannes IV, Koehn and Koehn, West Bend, WI
- Anne Henderson, Henderson & Co. Jewelers, Mechanicsburg, PA
- Gary Hurdle, Casa de Oro, Inc., Corpus Christi, TX
- Shelly Isacco, Joden Jewelers, Grove City, PA
- Kathy Jenkins, Bravo Jewellers, Carlsbad, CA
- Karen Jirsa, Village Goldsmith, Estes Park, CO
- Marcia Kertel, Letrek Jewelry/Marcia Kertel Designs, Las Vegas, NV
- Robert Lurie, Milnerton, Cape Town, (South Africa)
- Stan McCall, Custom Creative Gem Cutting, Cypress, Ca
- Chris Marshall, Marshall Jewelry, Gillette, WY
- Yasuhiro Mori, Mori Bijoux, Utsunomiya, Japan
- Franki Pethtel, Bond Diamonds, St. Petersburg, FL
- Eric Phillips, Carats by Eric, Elk River, MN
- Ely Pisco, Panowicz Jewelers, Olympia, WA
- Lara Robinson, Creative Goldsmiths, Langley, BC, Canada
- Karen Schmitt, Straith’s Jewelers, Centralia, IL
- Dottie Sheth, Lika Behar, Carlstadt, NJ
- Stacey Smith, Bland’s Jewelry, Taylor, TX
- Diane Thielker, Romm Diamonds, Brockton, MA
- Mary Van Buer, Expressions Jewelers, Davenport, IA
- Rowdy Ronnie Yates, Yates & Co Jewelers, Modesto, CA
Look out for the next Gem Quiz, in our Aug. 1 daily bulletin.