We recently told you about the - unexpected expenses that really hurt jewelers.
Building and equipment maintenance turned out to be the most common source of unanticipated financial pain. Still, many other events also put a surprise dent in jewelers’ pocketbooks, from robberies to diamond breakage.
But did you ever wonder how much financial damage your peers in the business are prepared to withstand?
For Big Survey 2016, we asked, “How large in dollar terms would an unexpected expense have to be to put a serious strain on your business?”
The most common answer was $50,000, and there were also clusters at $10,000 and $100,000. A few jewelers said they wouldn’t be able to sustain any amount. As one told us: “We have only been open 2.5 years. Every penny is a serious strain on our business.”
Latest Know How Stories
- Is It Time to Pull the Plug on This Employee Recommended By a Close Friend?
- Are Jewelers Good Bluffers? The Brain Squad Responds
- What Time of Year Is Best to Get the Absolute Lowest Manufacturer Prices?
- Create the Habit of Loving Gems in Your Children's Library
- Can't Meet? Just Rephrase Your Availability in a More Positive Manner