We recently told you about the - unexpected expenses that really hurt jewelers.
Building and equipment maintenance turned out to be the most common source of unanticipated financial pain. Still, many other events also put a surprise dent in jewelers’ pocketbooks, from robberies to diamond breakage.
But did you ever wonder how much financial damage your peers in the business are prepared to withstand?
For Big Survey 2016, we asked, “How large in dollar terms would an unexpected expense have to be to put a serious strain on your business?”
The most common answer was $50,000, and there were also clusters at $10,000 and $100,000. A few jewelers said they wouldn’t be able to sustain any amount. As one told us: “We have only been open 2.5 years. Every penny is a serious strain on our business.”
Latest Know How Stories
- His Big Exception to His Store's Return Policy Was a Big Mistake
- Does Your Business Need a Diet Plan for the New Year?
- Consumers Mainly Consider These 2 Factors When Buying Gems
- 21 of Jewelry Retailers' Biggest Fears and How to Forget Them for Good
- Real Deal: A Troubled Veteran's Assault Rifle Purchase Leaves Her Boss Worried and Confused