WHY IT IS TRUE: Customer wants are not necessarily product/service-specific. Truth be known, many customers really care less about the “jewelry” and more about what the jewelry does to enhance his relationship with her. Meet that need, and you’ll have a fan forever.
PLAN OF ACTION: The customer needs an engagement ring or an anniversary gift. Demonstrate your genuine interest by asking him how he plans to propose, or how he plans to surprise her with a special anniversary gift. Now he knows that you genuinely care, and suddenly you look completely different than the jewelry store two blocks away he just visited. If he has a plan, ask him to share it. Show genuine interest by nodding and smiling. If he has no plan, share a couple of your great ideas with him. You’ve just taken a major step to capturing a customer for life.
Source: David W. Richardson CSP, Jewelry Sales Training International
This article originally appeared in the July 2015 edition of INSTORE.
Latest Know How Stories
- Is It Time to Pull the Plug on This Employee Recommended By a Close Friend?
- Are Jewelers Good Bluffers? The Brain Squad Responds
- What Time of Year Is Best to Get the Absolute Lowest Manufacturer Prices?
- Create the Habit of Loving Gems in Your Children's Library
- Can't Meet? Just Rephrase Your Availability in a More Positive Manner