WHY IT’S TRUE: During the course of the sale, customers will frequently express their interest in an item with a statement such as, “I think she would really like that.” This is a very clear buying signal and represents a great opportunity to use the “either-or close.”
PLAN OF ACTION: Respond by offering the customer two options that will meet their needs and close the sale. To someone who is buying a gift you might say, “Great, why don’t I gift wrap this for you?” To someone purchasing for herself say, “Would you like to wear it or would you rather have me place it in one of our beautiful boxes?” Their response will automatically close the sale.
This article originally appeared in INSTORE in November 2008.
Don't Gamble with Your Retirement
Let Wilkerson manage every detail of the most important sale of your life.
Latest Know How Stories
- Have a Young Fan Who Loves Your Store? Here's How to Make Her an Ambassador
- Here's the Perfect Line for Selling a Diamond's Longevity and Value
- 3 Easy Things You Can Do to Sell More Jewelry
- When An Unhappy Support Staffer Releases Confidential Pay Rates, A Retailer Is Dumbfounded. What Would You Do?
- What One Jeweler Learned About Trying to Do Everything Herself