The word February comes from FEBRUARE, which means “to purify” in the dialect of the ancient Sabine tribe (a founding tribe of the Roman kingdom.). This had to do with how the Romans honored the dead and performed rites of purification in February. What’s that got to do with jewelry retailing? Well, the holidays are done and Valentine’s Day soon will be; it’s time to purify your dead inventory before show season. If it didn’t sell for full price between November and Feb. 14, it needs to go.
FEB. 14 Four million people will announce their engagement on Valentine’s Day. Have your inventory — and proposal ideas — ready.
FEB. 26 Ride the coattails of the Oscars by placing in your showcases photos of your favorite stars wearing similar jewelry to what you carry.
FEB. 28 Fatten up your clients on Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) with a Creole-themed event complete with etouffee, muffulettas and king cakes.
This article originally appeared in the February 2017 edition of INSTORE.
Latest Know How Stories
- Is It Time to Pull the Plug on This Employee Recommended By a Close Friend?
- Are Jewelers Good Bluffers? The Brain Squad Responds
- What Time of Year Is Best to Get the Absolute Lowest Manufacturer Prices?
- Create the Habit of Loving Gems in Your Children's Library
- Can't Meet? Just Rephrase Your Availability in a More Positive Manner