Medical researcher Julius Comroe once defined serendipity as “looking for a needle in a haystack and getting out of it with the farmer’s daughter.” On SERENDIPITY DAY, the idea of “happy accidents” sounds like a great theme for a sales event — either with surprise giveaways, or as an excuse to try something like a marketing exercise you’ve never done before. You never know.
- August 4 On Single Working Women Day, hold a “Bring a Friend Event” to celebrate their contributions to society.
- August 28 The U.S. Open Tennis Tournament gets under way today. Mark Chris Evert’s accidental launch 30 years ago of a jewelry tradition with a display devoted to “tennis bracelets.”
- August 28 Ninety-five years ago, a Long Island station broadcast The First Radio Commercial. It cost $100 and dragged on for 10 minutes. Today you can get short spots for less than that — especially at this time of year when things are slow. Shop around.
This article originally appeared in the August 2017 edition of INSTORE.
Latest Know How Stories
- 8 (More) Ways to Go Green in Your Jewelry Store
- Jewelers Are Spending Way More Time on Social Media Than They Used To
- In Battle for No. 2 Diamond Shape, Princess Now Has Close Contenders
- Here's How Much the Average Independent Jeweler Earns – How Do You Compare?
- The Underappreciated Security Threat to Your Financial Health