She has a long history of arrests.
Doris Payne, who has frequently made headlines for her long history as a jewelry thief, has been arrested in the Atlanta area.
Payne, 86, was taken into custody and charged with shoplifting at Perimeter Mall in Dunwoody, GA, WXIA-TV reports.
The New York Post reports: “A police report says Payne put a $2,000 necklace in her back pocket and tried to leave the store.” The newspaper reports that her career as a jewelry thief “has spanned six decades.”
Payne has been arrested many times before in the U.S. and several other countries, including Switzerland and France.
In 2013 a documentary about her was released: “The Life and Crimes of Doris Payne.”
Read more at WXIA
Latest Fun Stories
- Cartoon: The Jeweler Gets a Lucky Break
- Take the Perfect Proposal Selfie With This Engagement Ring Phone Case
- Gem Quiz: This Flamboyant Gem Was Named After a Founding Father of Brazilian Mineralogy
- There's Something Missing From Gene the Jeweler's Business ... Several Somethings, Actually
- Cartoon: A Surefire Way to Stop Losing Gemstones