She has a long history of arrests.
Doris Payne, who has frequently made headlines for her long history as a jewelry thief, has been arrested in the Atlanta area.
Payne, 86, was taken into custody and charged with shoplifting at Perimeter Mall in Dunwoody, GA, WXIA-TV reports.
The New York Post reports: “A police report says Payne put a $2,000 necklace in her back pocket and tried to leave the store.” The newspaper reports that her career as a jewelry thief “has spanned six decades.”
Payne has been arrested many times before in the U.S. and several other countries, including Switzerland and France.
In 2013 a documentary about her was released: “The Life and Crimes of Doris Payne.”
Read more at WXIA
Latest Fun Stories
- This Piece of Jewelry Grew 12X in Value — or So Gene the Jeweler Thinks
- Cartoon: The Jeweler Gets a New Look
- Gene the Jeweler Takes Lots of Vacations — One Each Day, in Fact
- Wouldn't You Just Love to Say This to the Customer Who Pooh-Poohs a Complicated Repair?
- Cartoon: And It Was Love at First Sight ...
The Wilkerson Way
See how one jeweler's inventory sale turned unsold merchandise into cold, hard cash.