The effect is “likely to be positive.”
De Beers CEO Bruce Cleaver told Bloomberg that Donald Trump's presidency could be good news for diamond sales.
Cleaver said the effect is "likely to be positive, certainly in the short-term." The CEO expects lower taxes and more jobs, all of which "translates into more disposable income and translates into more diamond purchases."
Sales for De Beers are likely to rise "a little bit" in the upcoming year, according to Cleaver. The current year , on the other hand, is expected to be flat or down slightly, Bloomberg reports.
Going forward, a key dynamic in the diamond business will be the fact that, as of 2018 or 2019, supply won't expand at a rate to match demand growth, Cleaver told Bloomberg. The CEO "is unaware of any discoveries that would change a flat supply curve," according to the news organization.
Read more at Bloomberg.
Latest Shine Headlines
- Red Diamonds Might Replace GPS Systems, Make Driverless Cars a Reality
- Robber Takes $16M in Diamonds from Jewelry Shop
- Here's How Small-Business Owners Feel About Repealing Obamacare
- Silpada Sues 3 Former Workers and a Jewelry Store
- Tiffany Reports Lower Holiday Sales; Trump Tower Commotion Partly to Blame