She was "the kind of person you wanted to know."
Cheryl Barbara Stark of CB Stark Jewelers on Martha’s Vineyard has died at age 70, MV Times reports.
She passed away Jan. 2 at her home in West Tisbury, MA.
Stark's store last year celebrated its 50th anniversary. INSTORE published a Q&A with Stark and partner Margery Meltzer.
Fresh from the Museum School of Fine Arts in Boston, Stark came to Martha’s Vineyard in 1966 to teach silversmithing at an artisans’ collective. She quickly fell in love with the island community and opened a small studio.
A few years later, she was joined by Meltzer, who was a recent philosophy graduate. Stark is shown at right in the photo below, standing with Meltzer.
Together they built CB Stark Jewelers into one of the Vineyard’s best-known businesses, with two stores and a growing online operation.
MV Times quoted West Tisbury resident John Anderson saying: "She was very cool, always had a smile, the kind of person you wanted to know, so we struck up a friendship. She was a fabulous woman, and had a wonderful life on the Vineyard. She was an Island fixture."
Read more at MV Times
Latest Shine Headlines
- Montage Introduces Jewelry and Watch Care Plan Program
- Jewelry Exec Allegedly Went to Disturbing Lengths to Clean Up Google Results
- Fewer Jewelry Stores Closed in the First Quarter
- Independent Jewelers Continue to Be Bullish on Outlook for 2017
- GIA Is Rolling Out a Desktop Testing Device for Mounted Gems