It's being called strange for more than one reason.
The latest cover of Vanity Fair's Mexico edition shows first lady Melania Trump in a strange situation indeed — sitting at a table with a bowl of jewelry, fork in hand as if to eat the baubles.
Presumably the scene is a play on the Trumps' wealth and extravagance. But many found the timing of the cover even stranger than the pose, given the current controversy over President Donald Trump's plan for a wall along the Mexico border.
Business Insider explains that after Vanity Fair tweeted the cover image, commenters unleashed a "torrent of animosity," with sentiments such as, "Apologize to Mexico for this stupidity."
The image and article were actually repurposed from GQ, which shares a parent company with Vanity Fair, Business Insider explains.
Among the subjects addressed in the feature are Melania Trump's plans to "become the new Jackie Kennedy."
Read more at Business Insider
Latest Shine Headlines
- Independent Jewelers Continue to Be Bullish on Outlook for 2017
- GIA Is Rolling Out a Desktop Testing Device for Mounted Gems
- Jewelry Brand Partners With Mercedes-Benz on Special-Edition Car
- Jeweler Finds Something Mysterious — and Cute — Outside His Door
- Atlanta Jewelry Show Names New Executive Director