It opened a decade ago.
Rio Tinto Diamonds will close its New York representative office, which serves as its sales and marketing hub for North America, Rapaport News reports.
A Rio Tinto spokesperson said the decision was made in order to achieve "improved efficiencies."
The spokesperson continued: “We remain fully committed to the U.S. retail diamond jewelry market and will continue to work in partnership with our Select Diamantaires on marketing initiatives in the U.S.”
The closure will take place during the first quarter of 2017. The office has been open for about 10 years.
With the closure will come the departure of the office's director, Brandee Dallow, according to Rapaport.
Dallow is president of the Women’s Jewelry Association international board of directors.
Read more at Rapaport
Latest Shine Headlines
- Independent Jewelers Continue to Be Bullish on Outlook for 2017
- GIA Is Rolling Out a Desktop Testing Device for Mounted Gems
- Jewelry Brand Partners With Mercedes-Benz on Special-Edition Car
- Jeweler Finds Something Mysterious — and Cute — Outside His Door
- Atlanta Jewelry Show Names New Executive Director