Three people were arrested.
Robbers took a bag containing close to $500,000 in jewelry from a courier in SeaTac, WA.
The crime occurred Monday evening at a Sleep Inn motel, KIRO-TV reports.
Three men wearing masks assaulted the courier, police said. They also slashed a tire on his automobile.
Later the same evening, police arrested three suspects at a gas station in the city of Chehalis, accordin to KIRO.
The Jewelers' Security Alliance reported in November that there had been a spike the prior month in robberies of traveling salespersons and retail jewelers carrying merchandise off-premises.
One of those crimes had, in fact, happened in SeaTac when diamonds worth about $400,000 were taken from couriers during a highway robbery. The thieves in that robbery were reported to have “boxed in a diamond couriers’ car on an Interstate 5 onramp, held the driver at gunpoint” and taken a backpack containing the jewels.
Read more at KIRO
Latest Shine Headlines
- Independent Jewelers Continue to Be Bullish on Outlook for 2017
- GIA Is Rolling Out a Desktop Testing Device for Mounted Gems
- Jewelry Brand Partners With Mercedes-Benz on Special-Edition Car
- Jeweler Finds Something Mysterious — and Cute — Outside His Door
- Atlanta Jewelry Show Names New Executive Director