They were CVD synthetics.
The Gemological Institute of America detected a sizable batch of undisclosed synthetic diamonds, Rapaport News reports.
In a group of 323 melee diamonds, 101 were found to be synthetic. They were produced through the chemical vapor deposition method.
The discovery was made in Mumbai, India, where GIA's Melee Analysis Service had received the parcel, according to Rapaport.
“This is the first time we have seen such a significant percentage of CVD melee mixed with natural melee,” said Wuyi Wang, director of research and development for the institute.
The size of the diamonds in the group of 323 was between 0.014 and 0.015 carats, Rapaport reports.
Read more at Rapaport News
Latest Shine Headlines
- Share Your Thoughts on Platinum Heads for a Chance to Win a Prize!
- Rio Tinto Appoints President of Diavik Diamond Mines
- Here's the Truth About All Those Diamond-Industry Predictions ...
- Burglars — One in a Pig Mask — Hit Jewelry Store, Cause Lockdown of Hotel
- Jeweler Apologizes for Controversial Billboard