The robbers took $100,000 worth of jewelry.
A woman who held the door for three masked gunmen to enter a jewelry store in the U.S. Virgin Islands has been sentenced to 70 months in prison, Acting U.S. Attorney Joycelyn Hewlett announced.
After a five-day trial in March 2015, a federal jury on St. Croix convicted Ketisha Iles, 25, of conspiracy to interfere with commerce by robbery and interference with commerce by robbery.
Evidence presented at trial established that on June 17, 2013, after Iles was buzzed into Perfection Jewelry Store, she held the door open for the three gunmen, Hewlett said in a press release.
Once in the store, one of the gunmen hit an employee several times with a gun, according to the release. Another gunman stood at the door while the others broke the display case and stole approximately $100,000 worth of 14-carat gold jewelry.
The evidence also showed that Iles knew of the robbery before it happened and agreed to hold the door open for the gunmen, Hewlett said.
Senior District Court Judge Raymond Finch also sentenced Iles to three years of supervised release and a special monetary assessment of $200.
Latest Shine Headlines
- Share Your Thoughts on Platinum Heads for a Chance to Win a Prize!
- Rio Tinto Appoints President of Diavik Diamond Mines
- Here's the Truth About All Those Diamond-Industry Predictions ...
- Burglars — One in a Pig Mask — Hit Jewelry Store, Cause Lockdown of Hotel
- Jeweler Apologizes for Controversial Billboard