Organizers say they turned away exhibitors.

Baselworld 2017 has opened with 13.3 percent fewer exhibitors compared with last year.

The jewelry and watch trade show in Basel, Switzerland, has about 1,300 exhibitors this year, Forbes contributor Anthony DeMarco writes. That's down from about 1,500 in 2016.

Baselworld Managing Director Sylvie Ritter said organizers turned away some would-be participants, DeMarco reports.

"We have turned away exhibitors who are not in line with our concept and do not meet the criteria for Baselworld," Ritter is quoted as saying. She would not be specific about the criteria.

Eric Bertrand, president of the Baselworld Exhibitors’ Committee, "singled out fashion watch brands as those who failed to either meet the criteria or their own sales goals," according to DeMarco.

 

In a press release on the opening of the show, Ritter said there's no reason to dwell on the past 12 months, which have been difficult and "compelled a certain number of players to leave the watch and jewelry industry and therefore not attend Baselworld." She said that situation is reason to "once again adapt the exhibition concept, to transform Baselworld so that the show continues to reflect the world market."

The show runs through March 30.

Read more at Forbes

This story is tagged under:
×