We asked our readers what they like the most.
There's a lot to like about being a jeweler, and different aspects of the business appeal to different people.
We decided to find out what they love most about their chosen profession.
As we collect responses for this year's Big Survey, we're bringing you a few highlights from years past. We call them Big Survey Flashbacks.
Today we bring you a question from our 2014 survey: "What aspect of owning a jewelry store do you enjoy the most?"
Here's how the answers broke down:
- Selling! — 58 percent.
- Buying! — 22 percent.
- The money! — 12 percent.
- Teaching my staff! — 8 percent.
It's interesting to note that there were 20 stores in our survey that reported doing more than $5 million in sales a year. They showed that the big really are different.
- The only group of jewelers to choose "Conquer the world" as their ambition.
- The only group that liked "buying" the most among a jeweler's jobs.
- The group most likely to say their store's ownership structure resembled the Borgias' family tree.
Want to have your say on the industry and what it means to own or manage an American jewelry store in 2017? Click HERE to take the latest INSTORE Big Survey. (The survey will probably take about 20 minutes to complete and is designed to be taken solely by store owners and managers.)
Latest Fun Stories
- Video: Gene the Jeweler Explains His Moonstone Strategy
- Here's What All Jewelers Wish They Could Say to Ring Lickers
- Just When You Thought You'd Heard Everything, These Customers Came Along
- Video: Yes, I Replaced Your Watch Battery. No, I Don't Owe You $1,200 for Unrelated Repairs ...
- Reno Retailer Erica Tague Talks Dream Destination, Biggest Challenge and the Worst Thing About Working with Family
JEWELER SUCCESS STORIES
“Halfway Through the Sale, We Already Did a Year’s Worth of Volume”
Torin Bales says he was “blown away” by Wilkerson’s results after the company ran his retirement sale. “When you hire a consultant, you have to let them take control,” says the Texas retailer. After all, if you’re like most jewelers, you only retire once. Get the maximum return on your life’s investment. Turn to Wilkerson & Associates and let your new life begin!