WHY IT’S TRUE: During the course of the sale, customers will frequently express their interest in an item with a statement such as, “I think she would really like that.” This is a very clear buying signal and represents a great opportunity to use the “either-or close.”
PLAN OF ACTION: Respond by offering the customer two options that will meet their needs and close the sale. To someone who is buying a gift you might say, “Great, why don’t I gift wrap this for you?” To someone purchasing for herself say, “Would you like to wear it or would you rather have me place it in one of our beautiful boxes?” Their response will automatically close the sale.
This article originally appeared in INSTORE in November 2008.
JEWELER SUCCESS STORIES
“Halfway Through the Sale, We Already Did a Year’s Worth of Volume”
Torin Bales says he was “blown away” by Wilkerson’s results after the company ran his retirement sale. “When you hire a consultant, you have to let them take control,” says the Texas retailer. After all, if you’re like most jewelers, you only retire once. Get the maximum return on your life’s investment. Turn to Wilkerson & Associates and let your new life begin!
Latest Know How Stories
- Two Ways to Keep From Discounting an Item
- Like the Tires of a Car, One Flat Salesperson Can Ruin the Experience
- Here's What You Say to Get a "Just Looker" to Try Something On
- This Crazy Experiment with Vacation Time Could Boost Your Employees' Performance
- Want to Make More Money? Leave Your Product Comfort Zone