“Diamond stud earrings are always a huge hit. Gemstone pieces in sterling from Michou were also a huge seller, as well as higher-end pieces from Bellarri.” — Shannon Akridge, Clater Jewelers Diamond Center, Louisville, KY
Bellarri Magnolia collection custom pendant/enhancer in 14K rose gold with 4.30-carat opal center, London blue topaz and Swiss blue topaz (13.35 TCW) and diamonds (0.15 TCW), bellarri.com
Top-Selling Jewelry Brands in December
Pandora (10), Lafonn (9), Gabriel & Co. (8), Hearts on Fire (8), Rolex (7), ELLE (6), Allison-Kaufman (4), Berco (4), Carla (4), Citizen (4), Ostbye (4), Cargo Hold (3), Gemsone (3), Les Georgettes (3), Leslie’s (3), Quality Gold (3), Rembrandt Charms (3), Simon Golub (3), Stuller (3), Victor Corp. (3)
* Brands mentioned by at least three of 184 Brain Squad members when asked what they would be reordering in January.
- Lightweight gold did well. Threader earrings, small layered gold necklaces and thin stackable bangles along with thin rings found favor. Alex Weil, Martin’s Jewelry, Manhattan Beach, CA
- Studs set in halo martinis by Heskia/Almor Design and pendants by Shefi did very well. Rex Solomon, Houston Jewelry, Houston, TX
- Gold earrings from hoops to dangles, especially anything with leaves in the $300 to $500 price point. Jo Goralski, The Jewelry Mechanic, Oconomowoc, WI
- Price points were up. Still doing a great deal of custom design. Hand engraving was very hot on bridal with a vintage feel. Rita Wade, Wade Designs Jewelry, Rocky Mount, NC
- Mid-priced sales were definitely druzy and labradorite. Larger sales were custom-made in store “one of a kinds” in yellow gold! Boulder opal, ammolite and morganite were strong! Linda McEathron, Design House, Waco, TX
- Pandora jewelry (earrings, rings and necklaces) continued to lead the way in sterling silver fashion. Allison Leitzel-Williams, Leitzel’s Jewelry, Myerstown, PA
- Colored stone jewelry from Madison L and Atlantic Diamonds sold well in December! Lee Krombholz, Krombholz Jewelers, Cincinnati, OH
- Larger diamonds, Nikki Lissoni, Debbie Brooks and Rebecca Hook. Alan and Renee Beckner, Beckner Jewelry & Repairs, Naples, FL
- Our biggest winner was our custom projects, but we also did well with Artistry pendants, Chatham blue sapphires used in custom projects and finished jewelry, and Simon Golub Colore. Laura Sipe, JC Sipe Inc., Indianapolis, IN
- Traditional charm bracelets and Rembrandt Charms from parents and grandparents. Cindy Fuller, Fuller Designs, Poplar Bluff, MO
- Yellow gold hoop earrings, silver jewelry by Ed Levin, Lovebright cluster earrings by Ashi, 7-10mm pearl studs, Pandora and Rolex. Dorothy Vodicka, The Gem Collection, Tallahassee, FL
- Vahan, diamond earrings, 14K diamond bangles, Honora and diamond pendants. Janet Silver, Roberts Jewelers, Jackson, TN
- Must reorder fast sellers (gone!) from Downeast Trading chains, Empire Corporation color, Artistry stackables, Ziba, D.Blue and Trufili silver, and diamond jewelry from S.Kashi and Sons! Great Santa selections. Denise Oros, Linnea Jewelers, La Grange, IL
- Bridal is selling again. Obaku watches and items in our Christmas mailer from the Berco Co. also sold very well. James Sickinger, Sickinger’s Jewelry, Lowell, IN
This article originally appeared in the February 2018 edition of INSTORE.
What's the Brain Squad?
If you're the owner or top manager of a U.S. jewelry store, you're invited to join the INSTORE Brain Squad. By taking one five-minute quiz a month, you can get a free t-shirt, be featured prominently in this magazine, and make your voice heard on key issues affecting the jewelry industry. Good deal, right? Sign up here.
Latest Products Stories
- Video: 18 New Styles That Prove Earrings Are Still Awesome
- The Very First Samuel B. Catalog and More Service Stories for June
- Check Out Your Fellow Jewelers' Best-Selling Brands and Products from April
- Marble Mac Covers, Boss Babe Bags and More Jewelry Pro Gear for June
- This is the Necklace Trend that Stole the Show on Recent Red Carpets
JEWELER SUCCESS STORIES
“Halfway Through the Sale, We Already Did a Year’s Worth of Volume”
Torin Bales says he was “blown away” by Wilkerson’s results after the company ran his retirement sale. “When you hire a consultant, you have to let them take control,” says the Texas retailer. After all, if you’re like most jewelers, you only retire once. Get the maximum return on your life’s investment. Turn to Wilkerson & Associates and let your new life begin!