Connect with us

Zen Jeweler: Quantity Ain’t All It’s Cracked Up To Be

mm

Published

on

Zen Jeweler


Fine jewelry requires a long-term attitude from its purchasers and wearers. This is bad news, and here’s why. Much of what we do today is for the short-term, the quick fix, the disposable society we’ve inherited from watching too many commercials. We’ve developed an addiction for the new, without an appreciation for the exceptional. We’ve begun to buy quantity. And we’ve begun to think of what we do in terms of that quantity. Quantity, frankly, ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. For instance, I once noted that in a store I was working in, 88 percent of the gross profit was coming from 15 percent of the store’s units. That meant that it took the other 85 percent of the stores sales to make up the last 12 percent of the gross profit. Quantity was defeating profitability. The 15 percent of units making up the vast majority of the store’s gross was, in fact, 135 units. Less than one sale a day. Imagine what just two sales a day like that would have done. Instead of one sale of $6,000, imagine two. Let’s continue to work harder, not smarter.

Advertisement

SPONSORED VIDEO

Wilkerson Testimonials | Sollberger’s

Going Out of Business Is an Emotional Journey. Wilkerson Is There to Make It Easier.

Jaki Cowan, the owner of Sollberger’s in Ridgeland, MS, decided the time was right to close up shop. The experience, she says, was like going into the great unknown. There were so many questions about the way to handle the store’s going-out-of-business sale. Luckily for Cowan, Wilkerson made the transition easier and managed everything, from marketing to markdowns.

“They think of everything that you don’t have the time to think of,” she says of the Wilkerson team that was assigned to manage the sale. And it was a total success, with financial goals met by Christmas with another sale month left to go.

Wilkerson even had a plan to manage things while Covid-19 restrictions were still in place. This included limiting the number of shoppers, masking and taking temperatures upon entrance. “We did everything we could to make the staff and public feel as safe as possible.”

Does she recommend Wilkerson to other retailers thinking of retiring, liquidating or selling excess merchandise? Absolutely. “If you are considering going out of business, it’s obviously an emotional journey. But truly rest assured that you’re in good hands with Wilkerson.”

Promoted Headlines

Most Popular

Columns

Zen Jeweler: Quantity Ain’t All It’s Cracked Up To Be

mm

Published

on

Zen Jeweler


Fine jewelry requires a long-term attitude from its purchasers and wearers. This is bad news, and here’s why. Much of what we do today is for the short-term, the quick fix, the disposable society we’ve inherited from watching too many commercials. We’ve developed an addiction for the new, without an appreciation for the exceptional. We’ve begun to buy quantity. And we’ve begun to think of what we do in terms of that quantity. Quantity, frankly, ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. For instance, I once noted that in a store I was working in, 88 percent of the gross profit was coming from 15 percent of the store’s units. That meant that it took the other 85 percent of the stores sales to make up the last 12 percent of the gross profit. Quantity was defeating profitability. The 15 percent of units making up the vast majority of the store’s gross was, in fact, 135 units. Less than one sale a day. Imagine what just two sales a day like that would have done. Instead of one sale of $6,000, imagine two. Let’s continue to work harder, not smarter.

Advertisement

SPONSORED VIDEO

Wilkerson Testimonials | Sollberger’s

Going Out of Business Is an Emotional Journey. Wilkerson Is There to Make It Easier.

Jaki Cowan, the owner of Sollberger’s in Ridgeland, MS, decided the time was right to close up shop. The experience, she says, was like going into the great unknown. There were so many questions about the way to handle the store’s going-out-of-business sale. Luckily for Cowan, Wilkerson made the transition easier and managed everything, from marketing to markdowns.

“They think of everything that you don’t have the time to think of,” she says of the Wilkerson team that was assigned to manage the sale. And it was a total success, with financial goals met by Christmas with another sale month left to go.

Wilkerson even had a plan to manage things while Covid-19 restrictions were still in place. This included limiting the number of shoppers, masking and taking temperatures upon entrance. “We did everything we could to make the staff and public feel as safe as possible.”

Does she recommend Wilkerson to other retailers thinking of retiring, liquidating or selling excess merchandise? Absolutely. “If you are considering going out of business, it’s obviously an emotional journey. But truly rest assured that you’re in good hands with Wilkerson.”

Promoted Headlines

Most Popular