Overcome a common objection.
Need ideas for overcoming an extremely common sales objection? You’re in luck.
As we collect responses for this year’s Big Survey, we’re bringing you a few highlights from years past. We call them Big Survey Flashbacks.
Today we bring you a question from our 2008 survey: “What is your usual response to this customer objection? ‘It’s lovely but I don’t think I can afford it.'”
The most common strategy was to offer laywaway, which was the solution offered by 27 percent of respondents. Other common responses included offering finance options, suggesting something similar that costs less, or doing mathematical calculations to show the item isn’t really that expensive.
Other common verbal responses included “But you deserve it”/”But you look great,” “Don’t spend more than you can afford” and “Life is short.”
Here were some of our favorite individual responses:
- “I’m writing that one down on my card so you can call me when you can’t sleep and I’ll show you these gorgeous pieces I just got in.”
- “Isn’t owning beautiful things why you’ve earned the money in the first place?”
- “Then don’t buy it. Let me show you something you’ll be thrilled with!”
- “Well, let’s look at some other choices.” (But always keep that one piece out because sometimes they end up buying it.”
- “Ms. Jones, many of our clients can’t put down the money immediately; that’s why my father started our layaway plan back in 1939 for a dollar down.”
- “Neither can I. That’s why I’m selling it.”
- “That’s OK. We can provide sparkle for any budget. Let’s find the right thing for what you want to spend.”
Want to have your say on the industry and what it means to own or manage an American jewelry store in 2017? Click HERE to take the latest INSTORE Big Survey. (The survey will probably take about 20 minutes to complete and is designed to be taken solely by store owners and managers.)