We are doing well selling Fana mountings. We are also selling a lot of lab-grown diamonds, big ones, all shapes. — Pamela R., Lauderdale by the Sea, FL
- Engagement rings! We are definitely still selling natural diamonds but have seen a steady increase in lab-grown diamonds. It’s not just younger couples buying labs, either. I’ve seen just as many older couples going into their second marriages looking for labs. They want to have a large diamond but also feel like they can’t justify the price when they have so many other things going on in their lives. And because they are older, they aren’t looking to upgrade or sell, so the loss of value is not a concern to them. — Becky B., Peabody, MA
- We brought back cool stuff from the jewelry show and sold it right out of the bags! — Stephenie B., Fountain Hills, AZ
- Custom design was by far the best seller again. The average price per custom job over the past year is up by $500 from $1,550 to $2,100, not including the diamonds or gemstones. — Holly M., Astoria, OR
- Wedding bands galore … all of those happy couples are finally getting married! Oddly enough, fashion rings have picked up substantially, too. — Jon B., Middleton, WI
- Rembrandt Charms engraved for graduation. ELLE sells well all year. Imperial Pearl for June birthdays. — Christine M., Boyertown, PA
- Diamonds: natural to older clients, lab-grown to younger. — David K., Grand Rapids, MI
- Lagos is hot! Lab-grown diamonds were off the charts this month, as well as diamond wedding bands! — Alan P., Wilmington, NC
- Inox did great for us for Father’s Day, Sylvie engagement rings with small customizations, and repairs are non-stop! — Trevor W., Myerstown, PA
- Over-the-counter buying: a huge increase in June. Expect it to get stronger as the economy becomes more challenged. We have been known for the strong prices we pay over the counter for over 30 years and have a good reputation. 100 percent social media advertising. — Medford C., North Charleston, SC
- Designs by Meredith Young sold great. We always do well with Lisa Nik, especially her rings. Beautiful jewelry by Laurie Kaiser, including a moonstone suite that was to-die-for. Unhada does great in our store, too. All of these designers are expensive, but the jewelry is gorgeous, and the customers are so happy when they get new pieces by these designers. — Andrea R., El Dorado Hills, CA
- Bridal was strong. Especially using moissanite. Go figure. — Christopher S., Wexford, PA
- Lab-grown diamonds are outshining all other loose stone mountings. Zeghani bridal is making many brides happy this month. Uno de 50 and Kendra Scott are always fun to dress up any outfit. — Karen H., Batavia, IL
- Ti Sento-Milano, Sterling Reputation, and believe it or not, watches … Citizen in particular. — Paul K., Fort Atkinson, WI
What’s the Brain Squad?
If you’re the owner or top manager of a U.S. jewelry store, you’re invited to join the INSTORE Brain Squad. By taking one five-minute quiz a month, you can get a free t-shirt, be featured prominently in this magazine, and make your voice heard on key issues affecting the jewelry industry. Good deal, right? Sign up here.